View Our Website View All Jobs

Assistant or Associate Professor- Geological Engineering

Assistant or Associate Professor-Geological Engineering

Department:            Geological Engineering                                   

Employment Detail:  Permanent, Full-Time         

Applications received by February 15, 2019 will be guaranteed full review and consideration.  Applications received after that date may be considered until an adequate applicant pool has been established.

Montana Technological University invites applicants for a tenure-track faculty position in the Department of Geological Engineering. The department ( is one of the founding departments in what was once the Montana School of Mines in Butte, Montana, a small city with great historical and geological significance in the mountains of western Montana. The department houses an ABET-accredited bachelor’s degree program in geological engineering and options in Montana Tech’s geosciences master’s program (geological engineering, geology, hydrogeological engineering, and hydrogeology). Planning for a PhD program is ongoing. Typical undergraduate and graduate enrollments are around 50 and 20 students, respectively. Our state-of-the-art laboratory facilities contain a wide variety of testing equipment for rock and soil, including a 300,000 lb triaxial load frame and an earthquake shake table. Also available within the department are equipment for rock and ore mineral identification, hydrogeological, geochemical, and geophysical research, extensive computing and modeling software, and a small fleet of research UAVs. An underground facility is available for teaching and research on the Montana Tech campus. We are seeking a dynamic student-oriented individual with a desire to engage undergraduate and graduate students in hands-on learning and research. The ideal candidate would have a PhD in geological engineering or related field (civil engineering, geology, etc.) with expertise that complements that of the other four faculty in the department; a minimum of one degree in engineering at the bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral level is required. The successful candidate will be expected to teach a mix of lower-level required courses and upper-level courses in the candidate’s specialty, while building a strong research program capable of securing external funding and providing significant service to the campus and the profession. Many opportunities exist for developing research programs in collaboration with other members of the department and related departments on campus, such as Mining, Metallurgical, Geophysical, Civil, Environmental, and Petroleum Engineering, Chemistry and Geochemistry, and the Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology (the state geological survey).


Responsibilities include teaching core and optional undergraduate and graduate courses in the broad field of geological engineering, and possibly service courses for other departments. Topics of specialty must complement the four other faculty members in the department. Active scholarship and service to the department and college is expected


  • An earned Ph.D. in Geological Engineering or related field (Civil Engineering, Geology, etc.);
  • At least one engineering degree.


  • Ability and desire to teach at the undergraduate and graduate levels


A commitment to excellent teaching at all university levels;

  • Evidence of ongoing scholarly activity;
  • Workplace experience in an aspect of geological engineering.

For full consideration application materials must be complete.  Please include a cover letter addressing qualifications, a resume and contact information for 3 professional references. 

Any offer of employment is contingent upon a satisfactory criminal background check. 

Montana Tech is committed to providing a working and learning environment free from discrimination. As such, the University does not discriminate in the admission, access to or conduct of its educational programs and activities nor in its employment policies and practices on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, creed, service in the uniformed services (as defined in state and federal law), veteran status, gender, age, political beliefs, marital or family status, pregnancy, physical or mental disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or sexual orientation or preference. In support of the University’s mission to be inclusive and diverse, applications from qualified minorities, women, veterans and persons with disabilities are highly encouraged. Montana Tech makes accommodation for any known disability that may interfere with an applicant’s ability to compete in the hiring process or an employee’s ability to perform the duties of the job. In compliance with the Montana Veteran’s Employment Preference Act, Montana Tech provides preference in employment to veterans, disabled veterans, and certain eligible relatives of veterans.  To claim veteran’s preference please complete the employment (veteran’s) preference form located on the employment page and email to  You must include the job title of the position in which you are applying.

To request an accommodation, contact Cathy Isakson 406-496-4380;


Read More

Apply for this position

Apply with Indeed
Attach resume as .pdf, .doc, .docx, .odt, .txt, or .rtf (limit 5MB) or Paste resume

Paste your resume here or Attach resume file

To comply with government Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action reporting regulations, we are requesting (but NOT requiring) that you enter this personal data. This information will not be used in connection with any employment decisions, and will be used solely as permitted by state and federal law. Your voluntary cooperation would be appreciated. Learn more.

Invitation for Job Applicants to Self-Identify as a U.S. Veteran
  • A “disabled veteran” is one of the following:
    • a veteran of the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service who is entitled to compensation (or who but for the receipt of military retired pay would be entitled to compensation) under laws administered by the Secretary of Veterans Affairs; or
    • a person who was discharged or released from active duty because of a service-connected disability.
  • A “recently separated veteran” means any veteran during the three-year period beginning on the date of such veteran's discharge or release from active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval, or air service.
  • An “active duty wartime or campaign badge veteran” means a veteran who served on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service during a war, or in a campaign or expedition for which a campaign badge has been authorized under the laws administered by the Department of Defense.
  • An “Armed forces service medal veteran” means a veteran who, while serving on active duty in the U.S. military, ground, naval or air service, participated in a United States military operation for which an Armed Forces service medal was awarded pursuant to Executive Order 12985.
Veteran status

Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability
Voluntary Self-Identification of Disability Form CC-305
OMB Control Number 1250-0005
Expires 1/31/2020
Why are you being asked to complete this form?

Because we do business with the government, we must reach out to, hire, and provide equal opportunity to qualified people with disabilities.i To help us measure how well we are doing, we are asking you to tell us if you have a disability or if you ever had a disability. Completing this form is voluntary, but we hope that you will choose to fill it out. If you are applying for a job, any answer you give will be kept private and will not be used against you in any way.

If you already work for us, your answer will not be used against you in any way. Because a person may become disabled at any time, we are required to ask all of our employees to update their information every five years. You may voluntarily self-identify as having a disability on this form without fear of any punishment because you did not identify as having a disability earlier.

How do I know if I have a disability?

You are considered to have a disability if you have a physical or mental impairment or medical condition that substantially limits a major life activity, or if you have a history or record of such an impairment or medical condition.

Disabilities include, but are not limited to:

  • Blindness
  • Deafness
  • Cancer
  • Diabetes
  • Epilepsy
  • Autism
  • Cerebral palsy
  • Schizophrenia
  • Muscular dystrophy
  • Bipolar disorder
  • Major depression
  • Multiple sclerosis (MS)
  • Missing limbs or partially missing limbs
  • Post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
  • Obsessive compulsive disorder
  • Impairments requiring the use of a wheelchair
  • Intellectual disability (previously called mental retardation)
Please check one of the boxes below:

You must enter your name and date
Your Name Today's Date
Reasonable Accommodation Notice

Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.

iSection 503 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended. For more information about this form or the equal employment obligations of Federal contractors, visit the U.S. Department of Labor's Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (OFCCP) website at

PUBLIC BURDEN STATEMENT: According to the Paperwork Reduction Act of 1995 no persons are required to respond to a collection of information unless such collection displays a valid OMB control number. This survey should take about 5 minutes to complete.